Thursday

The Mercy of God in Calling Sinners to Repentance

The Lord called to Adam, and said to him. Where art thou! (Genesis 3:9) These are the words of a father, says a pious author, going in quest of his lost son. Oh the immense compassion of our God ! Adam sins, he turns his back upon God; and yet God does not abandon him, but follows him and calls after him, " Adam, where art thou ?" Thus, my soul, has God frequently done towards thee; thou hadst forsaken him by sin; but he did not hesitate to approach thee, and to call upon thee by many interior lights, by remorse of conscience, and by his holy inspirations; all of which were the effects of his compassion and love.

O God of mercy, O God of love! how could I have so grievously offended Thee, how could I have been so ungrateful to Thee!

As a father when he beholds his son hastening to cast himself down from the brink of a precipice, presses forward towards him, and with tears endeavors M withhold him from destruction; so, my God, hast Thou done towards me. I was already hastening by my sins to precipitate myself into hell, and Thou didst hold me back. I am now sensible, O Lord! of the love which Thou hast shown me, and I hope to sing forever in heaven the praises of Thy mercy: The mercies of the Lord I will sing forever. (Psalm 88:2) I know, O Jesus! that Thou desirest my salvation; but I do not know whether Thou hast yet pardoned me. Oh ! give me intense sorrow for my sins, give me an ardent love for Thee, as signs of Thy merciful forgiveness.

O my Saviour! how can I doubt of receiving Thy pardon, when Thou Thyself dost offer it to me, and art ready to receive me with open arms on my return to Thee? Wherefore I do return to Thee, sorrowing and overpowered at the consideration that after all my offences against Thee, Thou indeed still lovest me. Oh that I had never displeased Thee, my sovereign good ! how much am I grieved for having done so ! Pardon me O Jesus ! I will never more offend Thee. But I shall not be able to rest satisfied with Thy forgiveness only: give me also a great love for Thee. Having so often deserved to burn in the fire of hell, I now desire to burn in the fire of Thy holy love. I love Thee, who art my only love, my life, my treasure, my all. O Mary, my protectress! pray for me, that I may continue faithful to God until the end of my life.