Monday

The Death of Jesus for the Love of Men

Was it ever possible that God, the Creator of all things, should have been pleased to die for the love of his creatures? It is of faith that he has done so. He hath loved us, and hath delivered Himself for us. (Ephesians 5:2) The earth, the heavens, and all nature, with astonishment beheld Jesus, the only begotten Son of God, the lord of the universe, die of intense pain and anguish, on a disgraceful cross; and why ? For the love of men. And do men believe this and not love God?

I have believed it, O Jesus! and yet not only have I not loved Thee, but I have frequently offended Thee. Pardon me, I beseech Thee, and remind me continually of the death which Thou hast suffered for me, that I may nevermore offend Thee, but may always love Thee.

It was not necessary for man's salvation that God should die; one drop of his blood, a single tear, or a prayer would have been sufficient, because being of infinite value, it would have redeemed this or a thousand other worlds.

But, O Jesus! Thou wouldst suffer so much, to teach us Thy great love for us. Hence, St. Bonaventure exclaims, but with much greater reason may I exclaim, who have so often offended my Redeemer: "Alas! my God, why hast Thou so much loved me? why, O Lord, why? Who am I ?" O divine Pastor of my soul, behold I am the lost sheep, in quest of which Thou didst come upon the earth. I have ungratefully fled away from Thee; since, unmindful of the sufferings which I have occasioned Thee, Thou callest me, miserable as I am, but overcome with Thy great goodness, embracing Thy sacred feet, nailed to the cross. Jesus, my love, my treasure! I love Thee, and because I love Thee I am sorry for having offended Thee.

St. Bernard, imagining himself present when Pilate passed sentence of death on our Blessed Saviour, thus addresses him: "What hast Thou done, my most innocent Saviour, that Thou shouldst be thus condemned?" Thou art innocence itself; and how do I now behold Thee condemned to death, even to the death of the cross? What crime hast Thou committed?" And he proceeds to answer, "Thy crime is love." As if he had said, Ah! it is Thy too great love for us, and not Pilate, that condemns Thee to death.

When, my dear Redeemer, I remember the offences I have committed against Thee, it is not hell, which I have deserved for them, that makes me grieve, but the love which Thou hast shown me. Ah ! my crucified God, I desire to be henceforth and forever Thine, and I will love no other but Thee. Strengthen my weakness, and make me faithful to Thee. Holy Mary, mother of God, enable me to love Jesus; this is the only favor I ask.