Friday

Jesus suffering for our Sins

Seeing men lost in their sins, God was pleased to take pity on them; but his divine justice required satisfaction, and there was no one capable of making adequate satisfaction. On this account he sent into the world his own Son, made man, and loaded him with all our offences: The Lord laid on him the iniquity of us all, (Isaiah 53:6) so that he might pay our debts, satisfy divine justice, and save mankind.

O eternal God! what more couldst Thou have done to induce us to confide in Thy mercy, and to attract our hearts to Thy love, than give us even Thy own Son? But how could I, after all that Thou hast done for me, have been guilty of so many offences against Thee? O my God! for the love of this Thy Son, have pity on me. I am sorry above every evil for having offended Thee, And though I have grievously offended Thee, I desire to love Thee with the greatest fervor; give me strength so to love Thee.

The eternal Father having loaded his Son with all our crimes, was not content even with such satisfaction! from him, as would have amply atoned for us all, but, as Isaiah continues: The Lord was pleased to bruise him in infirmity. (Isaiah 53:10) He would have him mangled to exhaustion, with scourges, thorns, nails, and torments, until he died of tortures on an infamous gibbet.

If faith, O God! did not assure us of this excess of Thy love towards men, who could possibly believe it? O God, worthy of all love! permit us not to be any more ungrateful to Thee. Enlighten and strengthen us to correspond with such immense love during the remainder of our lives; do this, we beseech Thee, for the love of this Thy Son, whom Thou hast given to us.

Behold that innocent Son, attentive to the will of his Father, who would have him thus sacrificed for our sins, full of humility before his Father, full of love towards us, obediently embraces his life of pain and his bitter death: He humbled Himself, becoming obedient unto death, even to the death of the cross. (Philippians 2:8)

Dearest Saviour, I will therefore say to Thee with the penitent Ezechias: Thou hast delivered my soul that it should not perish; Thou hast cast all my sins behind Thy back. (Isaiah 38:17) I had deserved by my sins to be cast into hell, but Thou hast delivered me from it, and, as I hope, pardoned me. I had offended Thy divine majesty, and Thou hast loaded Thyself with my crimes, and hast suffered for me. After this, if I should again offend Thee, or if I should not love Thee with my whole heart, what punishment will ever be sufficient for my chastisement? Beloved Jesus, O love of my soul! I am exceedingly sorry for having so grievously offended Thee. I give Thee my whole self; accept of me, and suffer me not to be any more separated from Thee. Holy Virgin, Mary, Mother, pray to thy divine Son for me, that he may be pleased to accept of me, and make me all his own