Saturday

The One Thing Necessary

One thing is necessary (Luke 10:42) the salvation of our souls. It is not necessary to be great, noble, or rich in this world, or to enjoy uninterrupted health; but it is necessary to save our souls. For this has God placed us here: not to acquire honors, riches, or pleasures, but to acquire by our good works that eternal kingdom which is prepared for those who, during this present life, fight against and overcome the enemies of their eternal salvation.

Ah, my Jesus, how often have I renounced heaven by renouncing Thy grace! But, O Lord! I am more grieved for having forfeited Thy friendship than for having lost heaven. Give me, O Jesus! a great sorrow for my sins, and mercifully pardon me.

Of what consequence is it if a man be poor, mean, infirm, and despised in this life, provided that in the end he dies in the grace of God and secures his salvation? The more he has been afflicted with tribulations, if he suffered them with patience, the more will he be glorified in the kingdom of heaven. On the other hand, what does it profit a man to abound in riches and honors, if, when he dies, he is lost forever? If we are lost, all the goods that we have enjoyed in this world will be remembered only to increase our misery for eternity.

Do Thou, my God, enlighten me; give me to understand that my only evil is to offend Thee, and my only good to love Thee. Enable me to spend the remainder of my days in serving Thee.

Salvation is necessary, because there is no medium; we must either be saved or lost. It will not do to say: I shall be satisfied with not going to hell; I shall not be concerned at being deprived of heaven. No; either heaven or hell; either forever happy with God in heaven in an ocean of delights, or forever trampled upon by devils in hell in an ocean of fire and torments: either saved, or lost; there is no alternative.

O Jesus! I have hitherto chosen hell, and for years past I should have been suffering there, if in pity Thou hadst not borne with me. I thank Thee, O my Saviour! and I am sorry above every evil for having offended Thee. I hope, for the future, with the assistance of Thy grace, to walk no more in the way that conducts to hell. I love Thee, O my sovereign good ! and I desire to love Thee forever. Grant me perseverance in good, and save me through that blood which Thou hast shed for me. O Mary, my hope! intercede for me.